North America Chapters
The Society for Conservation Biology supports a diversity of local chapters, many of which are located in North America. SCBNA works to support North America chapter initiatives and events; facilitate participation in local policy work; promote chapter member travel to sectional and global meetings; and provide organizational structure. SCBNA’s Board includes a North America Chapters Representative who serves on the Global Chapters Committee, and chairs the newly formed (July 2018) ad-hoc Chapter Committee within the North America Section.
How to start a new chapter
While SCBNA provides support for existing chapters, all new chapters are formed and registered through the global SCB office. Refer to the chapters resources page on the global SCB website for instructions and guidelines to help you form your chapter. You can also contact SCB, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Resources for existing North America chapters
- Find a chapter in your area or region. See the North America chapters list for active chapters registered with SCB!
- Join the SCBNA chapters mailing list! Contact Rebecca (email@example.com) to join the list. This is where we communicate information, events, and opportunities available to local chapters in the North America section.
- Ask questions or get information about North America chapters. Chapters located in North America are represented by the North American Chapters Representative, who serves both on the board of SCBNA and the global chapters committee. This representative can help answer your questions, communicate your issues to the chapter committees and the section, and serve as a liaison between the section, global organization, and your chapter. Contact current NA rep Rebecca McCaffery (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions
- Get support for your chapter and project. SCBNA may have periodic resources available to help support your chapter’s efforts. Please check back for opportunities or contact your SCBNA chapters representative.
- **Coming soon*** Best practices guide for starting and running an SCB chapter. We are currently working on revising a guide to starting and running an SCB chapter, based on collective knowledge and input from chapter members at a workshop during ICCB 2017.
Resources for chapters at the global level
SCB maintains a page of resources for all local chapters around the world. In addition to information on starting a chapter, there are several other resources of interest to North America chapters:
- Annual chapter registration with the global office is required to be eligible for grants and other opportunities, and will be announced on the SCB chapters page
- The global chapters committee maintains a small grants program, where chapters can apply for money to support chapter projects and events
- The global chapter committee also provides limited travel and lodging awards for chapter leaders and active members traveling to sectional and global meetings
- SCB global has a guide to starting and running an SCB chapter. Pending a needed update, nonetheless it contains useful information and ideas on this process.
How to comment on public policy
The SCBNA Policy Committee (SNAP committee) is available to help you prepare and submit public policy statements. See resources and detailed instructions for North American Chapters.
More questions or ideas? Contact us!
As the SCBNA Chapters committee develops, we would love to hear from you about what kind of content you would like to see on this webpage, and what kinds of resources, information, and connections would be useful. This page is a work in progress and we want to hear from you about what your chapter would like to see from this webpage. Thanks!