Environmentally Friendly NACCB
SCB North America takes seriously our responsibility to reduce and mitigate the environmental impact of our biennial congress. To that end, we have ensured a diversity of measures take effect in an effort to reduce our impact and contribute toward our mission of advancing the science and practice of conserving earth’s biodiversity. See below for 2020 sustainability efforts, and please check back as we update this page.
2020 Carbon Offset: Native Species Reforestation & Restoration in Panama
The NACCB Carbon Offset and Sustainability Committee is excited to once again work with Clear Sky Climate Solutions and announce the 2020 carbon offset project, certified at the Gold Level under the Climate, Community and Biodiversity Standard (CCB) and Carbon Fix (a German certification standard).
In selecting the Panama project, the NACCB Carbon Offset Committee and SCB North America recognize the responsibility to alleviate the unjust burden of environmental impact in developing countries that often serve as a source of production, development, destruction serving the needs of developed countries.
Call to Action: Help NACCB become carbon neutral by mitigating your share! All NACCB registrants are encouraged to contribute $10 USD toward the carbon offset during conference registration.
Green Practices at the Sheraton Denver Downtown
When staying at the NACCB conference hotel Sheraton Denver Downtown, enjoy a credit towards F&B at hotel managed outlets or Marriott Bonvoy Rewards Points added to your account when you decline housekeeping (for stays of two nights or longer).
Check out the Sheraton Denver Downtown’s additional eco-friendly practices below:
- Paperless check-out through a Video Check-Out system and folios can be reviewed via the guestroom television. Folios are emailed directly to guests
- Water glasses and china coffee cups in guestrooms instead of disposable plastic cups
- Green Label/Non-Mercury Fluorescent versus incandescent bulbs are used for guestroom entrances, bathrooms, and all public spaces
- The Sheraton recycles all paper products, cardboard, cans, and bottles through Waste Management’s single-stream recycling program
- Catering and Event Services offers sustainable “Locally Harvested and Raised” menus to reduce interstate traffic, vehicle emissions, fuel usage, and to help sustain the local farming industry
- Catering and Event Services participate in comprehensive food waste reduction program involving, sourcing from “rescue” suppliers such as FoodMaven, utilizing UBU produce as a first choice in preparation, preparing food in accordance with guest demand/cover count, menu-matching to cross utilize ingredients
- Use only real/re-usable china, silver and linens.
- For coffee breaks, use of water coolers rather than bottled water
- Unused foods can be collected and donated to local food bank and other charitable organizations
- Predominantly vegetarian options for catered events and breaks available in the hotel for meetings and restaurants