Environmentally Friendly NACCB
SCB North America takes seriously our responsibility to reduce and mitigate the environmental impact of our biennial congress. To that end, we have ensured a diversity of measures take effect in an effort to reduce our impact and contribute toward our mission of advancing the science and practice of conserving earth’s biodiversity. See below for 2018 sustainability efforts, and please check back as we update this page.
2018 Carbon Offset: Native Species Reforestation & Restoration in Panama
The NACCB Carbon Offset Committee is excited to once again work with Clear Sky Climate Solutions and announce the 2018 carbon offset project, certified at the Gold Level under the Climate, Community and Biodiversity Standard (CCB) and Carbon Fix (a German certification standard). The CCB has recently merged with the Verified Carbon Standard.
In selecting the Panama project, the NACCB Carbon Offset Committee and SCB North America recognize the responsibility to alleviate the unjust burden of environmental impact in developing countries that often serve as a source of production, development, destruction serving the needs of developed countries.
Call to Action: Help NACCB become carbon neutral by mitigating your share! “Opt-in” to donate $10 USD toward the carbon offset during conference registration.
Make a Green Choice – Westin Harbour Castle Hotel
When staying at the NACCB conference hotel Westin Harbour Castle, enjoy a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starpoints® awarded at check-out for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure).
To participate in the Make a Green Choice program, please tell concierge at check-in or look for the doorhanger in your guestroom.
Check out Westin Harbour Castle’s additional eco-friendly practices below:
- E-folio and newspaper – Guests can decide at check-in if they want to receive their final bill via email and opt-out of the daily newspaper delivery to their room.
- Green Energy – The Westin Harbour Castle is the only downtown Toronto hotel whose lobby and restaurants are powered 100% by bullfrogpowerTM green electricity.
- Recycling – The hotel has a target diversion rate of 67%. All organic waste matter is handled on-site by a new ORCA machine which converts it into water safely discharged in the sanitary sewer system.
- Westin is the first hotel brand to introduce a smoke- free policy which reduces the use for air freshener chemicals
- Water-efficient bathroom fixtures with low flow dual shower heads, low flush toilets and low flow taps in all guestrooms
- Recycling blue boxes for paper and bottles as well as individual temperature controls in all guestrooms
- Large recycle containers with paper, bottles/cans and garbage slots throughout the conference space and in meeting rooms
- 80% of meeting rooms offer natural light to reduce or eliminate artificial light where possible, but all meeting rooms come equipped with LED lighting
- For coffee breaks, use of water coolers rather than bottled water
- Unused foods will be collected and donated to local food bank and other charitable organizations
- Use of local products, sustainable seafood, fair trade and organic products
- Use of reusable dishes, cutlery and linens
- Predominantly vegetarian options for catered events and breaks available in the hotel for meetings and restaurants
- Biodegradable plastic containers at “grab and go” restaurants and banquets
- Energy consumption in guestrooms reduced 60% by installing digital thermostats
- Compact fluorescent bulbs installed in every fixture possible in public areas
- The hotel sponsors, celebrates, and/or participates in local, national, and/or international environmental events such as Earth Hour and Earth Day
- Guests are offered information on bicycle rentals and public transportation as well as walking and running maps
- A designated bicycle rack has been installed for employees
- Employees are given the opportunity to volunteer their time and services towards various environmental events and campaigns, even during regular working hours
….and many more! Check out Westin’s webpage for more details.